Gracing the pages of Forbes magazine’s latest list of the nation’s richest men and women at least nine are law graduates who live in California.
Our sister publication The Am Law Daily did the hard work and culled the list of 400 for those that gave up the billable hour to make piles and piles (and piles) of cash. Some highlights include:
- No. 101 (tie) with $3.1 billion is UC Hastings law school grad George Roberts, founder of buyout shop KKR. He lives in San Francisco.
- No. 119 (tie) with $2.9 billion is Riley Bechtel, construction magnate who practiced at now-defunct Thelen, the San Francisco law firm that served as outside counsel to Bechtel Corp. Bechtel, who earned his J.D. from Stanford Law, lives in San Francisco.
- No. 217 (tie) with $1.85 billion is Jess Jackson, a Berkeley Law graduate who made his fortunes in wine. The founder of Jackson Family Wines lives in Geyserville.
- Charles Munger, founder of Munger, Tolles & Olson in Los Angeles, took spot No. 236 (tie) with $1.75 billion. The source of his wealth is listed as Berkshire Hathaway.
- No. 365 (tie), with $1.1 billion, went to Peter Thiel, Stanford law grad with ties to PayPal and Facebook. A former Sullivan & Cromwell associate, Thiel lives in San Francisco.