The late Craig Johnson, a Silicon Valley visionary who founded Virtual Law Partners and Venture Law Group, was remembered by friends, colleagues, clients and family at a memorial Sunday on the campus of Stanford University.
"Whenever I have a wild idea," said his son Scott, "I'll always remember dad, smiling that smile of his, encouraging me to go on further with it."
Johnson died Oct. 3 at age 62 from a stroke suffered a few days earlier. The memorial was serious but punctuated by memories of Johnson's upbeat personality, including his love of costume parties and Halloween.
Larry Sonsini recalled Johnson's departure from Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati in 1993 to found VLG (see video below). But, Sonsini said, "He'll always be a part of our law firm, of the valley, of every dreamer, of ever start-up."
Johnson's Yale roommate, Steve Kovacs, said that even after the stroke blocked 75 percent of Johnson's brain function, Kovacs was sure the other 25 percent was planning a new idea, seeking out "angel investors" for a heavenly venture.
— Scott Graham